This page is dedicated to sharing the stories of breastfeeding mothers whose children suffered complications from exclusive breastfeeding. The purpose of this page is to help future mothers prevent feeding-related tragedies in their own children.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

From Nina Sobiek

My son was severely jaundiced from an incompatible RH factor. Within 2 hours of birth they had a Lactation Consultant come to my room and tell me how I NEED to breastfeed. I have flat nipples and my son was just not latching. He was put in phototherapy three days after birth (we were never discharged) and again they sent a Lactation Consultant to his room and she again kept telling me to keep nursing him. I didn't know it, as a first time mom, but he wasn't getting anything. After two days of phototherapy they told us his levels were just barely good enough to go home and told me to nurse every 2 hours. I got home and was feeling more defeated adding to my post partum (I'm clinically diagnosed bipolar). From his birth I was told he needed to be breastfed and the stigma of formula feeding was always stopping me from using it. At my son's first follow up pediatric appointment he was immediately sent to the ER for a heel prick and his jaundice levels had skyrocketed and he had lost 1 lb in a few days. I was NEVER once told that dehydration would make his jaundice worse nor was I ever informed by the lactation consultant that nursing with jaundice could worsen without supplementing. My son had his heel pricked every day two times on some days for 10 DAYS STRAIGHT. I had to listen to his screams and cries from the tests. I couldn't bond with him because he has to be in the phototherapy bed. I finally started supplementing when my milk dried up over night. I tried pumping. I tried nursing. But ultimately I had to do what was right for my son. Breast is not best if you aren't producing enough for your baby. Had I not started supplementing the next step was going to be a blood transfusion for my boy. All women should be told the PROS AND THE CONS of breastfeeding and stop pressuring them with LC coming to them. If you send a LC to my room, also send a formula representative so I can have BOTH sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment